Official theme song

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Atwood Cafe - Chicago, IL - 10/13/10



Every so often some random person I know who doesn't venture into the city much will tell me they're going to a play and ask for a restaurant suggestion - the answer I give nine times out of ten is Atwood Cafe.  The food is solid and the location just about perfect for many of the big theaters.

I was surprised, then, to see I have never actually written about it here.  We haven't been since the new chef, Derek Simcik, took over - so I figured it was my duty to snag a reservation and check it out.



Ahi Tuna Tartar - waffle cones, wasabi vinaigrette.

------



Fried Oysters - cornmeal crusted oysters, spicy remoulade, scallion relish.

-------



Slow Roasted Rabbit - braised carrots, onions, carrot purée, beaten biscuts

------



Duck² - duck confit, roasted duck breast, dumplings, peas, roasted hen of the woods, English pea purée, carrot mash

-------



"Coffee" And Donuts - house-made donuts, triple espresso gelato

----

For wine, we had the feature of the month that was a very nice Vina Perallilo Arenal Carmenere. While it was solid, upon further research the markup was a mindboggling, and I'm going to go right on ahead and call it offensive (to the payer, not the payee), 500% It was a good bottle, groingrabbingly good for $9 in fact, and I get markups are a fact of dining out, but 500%? I think I'm soured.

The Heather Terhune days were excellent...the new guy's been around for a few months so there are still kinks to work out - but he's well on his way.

No comments: