Official theme song

Monday, July 31, 2006

2005 Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling


This winery does some higher end wines, but this one...a Columbia Valley 2005 Riesling is in the $10 range depending where you shop. I got this one on sale for $8.99. Just so we're not confusing it with a $40 bottle.

Right off the bat, I like Rieslings, but I will freely admit I like cheap Rieslings. The expensive ones often have descriptions like like "a hint of gasoline on nose"....I've smelled that, and quite frankly I avoid it.

So, here we are.

The appearance on this is very light yellow, there's very little color really, which is about right.

The nose is mellow. I don't smell much of anything, though Fran detects a hint of honeydew melon.

On the tongue, we both feel the bite of alcohol. I taste slightly unripe nectarine with a kick of minerals. It's not terribly pleasant to be honest. It's certainly not "bad" but for the money I'd rather grab a bottle of "Relax" which will probably be discussed at some point in the future. This is by no means sweet, there's fruit of course, but there's no question this is a dry Riesling. Perhaps that's part of the reason I don't like it. I need a bit of sweetness with my acidity.

On the finish, the minerals linger for a surprisingly long time and the drying effect lasts.

We just didn't care for it. This winery makes some good sparkling wine that I'll be picking up sooner or later and writing about I'm sure.

No comments: