Official theme song

Friday, March 07, 2008

2004 Antinori Pèppoli Chianti Classico

This goes for about $15, but I grabbed it on clearance for half that.

The nose is mostly earth, funk, and strangely raw meat.

Fairly firm tannins, raspberry, cherry, earth, chocolate, cedar, and a reasonable amount of funk.

A lot of spice comes through on the finish – cinnamon, clove, nutmeg – quite interesting.

Even at fifteen bucks this is solid. A lot of complexity here and overall, an enjoyable bottle. If it wasn't sold out, I'd cheerfully grab a few more bottles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the initial earthy nose, but after the swirl and letting it breathe a bit, the wine changed and developed a wonderfully powerful floral nose. I was drinking at room temperature (64F) out of crystal.

After reading your review, I could definitely smell the spices (cinnamon, clove, etc) hidden within the floral scents.

Tastes of tart cherry and umami with hints of dark chocolate and fruit (plums come to mind)

Clean yet staying finish with the aforementioned spices, turning slowly into black cherry.

At $15, I was very satisfied with this wine.

Liz said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG!

-Liz
411mommy.org