Official theme song

Monday, August 04, 2008

N/V (?) Sacred Stone Master's Red Blend Old World Style Red Wine

Welcome to post #400! I didn't expect to reach post 40, let alone 400. I was thinking about using this very special occasion to open something fancy pants but the more I thought about it, the more I thought the spirit of this blog is to enjoy wine but to try to find something good and cheap, so I present to you a great $10 wine. Maybe post #500 will be something pricey.

Not sure where I got this – the usual places don't seem to carry it. A brief poke around the internet shows this blend of Syrah, Carignan, Grenache, Sangiovesse, and Zinfandel goes for about ten dollars.

To me, the nose just screams “Black!” Black fruit – blackberry, dark ultra ripe plums – maybe even prune, black dirt, and asphalt.

Quite mild with tannins but big on black fruit and very powerful on the spice – black pepper almost assaults the palate with loads of dried Italian spices.

Black cherry with cinnamon and other spices lingers for quite some time on the finish.

The second day brings an asphalt nose. The palate now has a nice bit of chocolate to compliment the rest of the black flavors – which have somewhat mellowed. Still lots of black pepper and spice but it's all calmed down with black cherry and eucalyptus being predominant.

Should I see this bottle at ten bucks again I'll be grabbing a case. Phenomenal QPR.

No comments: