Official theme song

Monday, June 07, 2010

2006 Peninsula Cellars Gewurztraminer

This retails for $15 through the winery.

White tea and floral qualities on the nose.

In a word - floral. In two words - herbal tea. In three words - I'm digging it. That's really 3 1/2 words isn't it? I once had an Alsatian Gewurz at a tasting (it was $70, so I passed on buying a bottle) that was pungent, bone dry, like drinking perfume straight - it was borderline obscene but it was one of the most fascinating wines I've ever had. This isn't quite that crazy, but it's the closest thing I've had. Bone dry and floral - rosewater, chamomile, vanilla bean - with a touch of underripe pineapple for fruit,

The finish is borderline Chardonnay like - pineapple, vanilla, hints of oak.

This one might be polarizing, I can see why someone wouldn't care for it, but to my palate, this wins the Old Mission Peninsula Tweet and Taste. Kudos.

This bottle was comped as part of the Tweet and Taste Michigan virtual Twitter tasting which took place on Monday, June 7, 2010. All attempts have been made to be honest and unbiased.

Score: 92

No comments: