Official theme song

Monday, November 02, 2009

N/V M. Lawrence Fizz Batch #20 Demi-Sec

I don't know if I've ever had a Demi-Sec before. It's one of those designations that I knew existed, but just never explored (it means half sweet - a step sweeter than Extra Dry - if you care, just read this or one of those old fashioned things that existed before Wikipedia....I think they were called books. Retail on this SOB is thirteen bucks.

A red apple nose - oh man, it just hit me - Red Apple Jelly Bellies. That's it.

Well played. I have a bias against sweet sparklers, but lately I've tried a few and have been impressed. Don't get me wrong - this wine isn't one of these "good with dinner" things, it's a dessert wine for the wine fan (and a soda replacement for the high class lush). Peach candy, of the Jolly Rancher persuasion, along with some red apple and apricot. I'm digging that this has a nice, light body - it's sweet, but there's none of that (sickening) oily mouthfeel that you sometimes get. Serve this blind and I'll bet the wine snob in your life will think this is a well made moscato.

Peach candy lingers on the finish but it all fades quickly.

The winery suggested taking four parts Fizz and one part Jack Daniels to make a cocktail they invented called the Hydraulic Jack. I only had Maker's Mark handy and figured they're close enough to try it out....let's just say I'll be sticking to my cherry lime rickeys.

You know, this wine kind of reminds me of this Australian offering, yet made better, cheaper (by volume), and with enough added depth to kick it up a notch or two and make it solidly recommendable.

Wine: 7
Value: Treat as a dessert wine and you're good to go

No comments: