Official theme song

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

2009 Rendez Vous Beaujolais Nouveau

Seven bucks, Trader Joe's, a new label, and the wife was picking up the tab – sold.

Bubblegum and a hint of banana on the nose.

Bubblegum, strawberry, earth, and right on the back palate some banana comes through, though somewhat mildly. Quite acidic, but not so much it demands food, and light enough in body to be a fine complement to simple fare.

The finish lingers for a few seconds and is exactly what you get on the palate, but it fades quick.

Not nearly the mess of Duboeuf, but also not quite as good as the Pierre Chermette. That being said, it's less than half the price of Chermette (and cheaper than Duboeuf - or any producer of recent vintage - I might add), so if you want a 2009 BN – this is going to be my top recommendation.

Wine: 5.5
Value: Yep

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came across this description for Rosenblum Zinfandel 2005 "Maggie's Reserve" and I was wondering if you have tried this one. The description is very tempting...

Aromas of wild raspberry, blackberry and a touch vanilla come all wrapped up with subtle hints of cocoa and mint. The flavors are even more extracted and compelling than the aromas. A cornucopia of rich raspberry, blackberry and cherry with hints of clove and mint explode on the palate. The finish on this wine is so intense that it will make you wonder if life can get any better.

thewineauxs said...

I've had some of the entry level Rosenblum wines and they've been pretty good - I haven't had the Maggie's Reserve though. Sounds interesting to be sure.

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend bought a bottle; but alas, he is having it shipped to his parents place in Michigan where he will be for Christmas. I'll let you know what he thinks.

A couple of bottles I just received for Christmas:

Molto!Malbec - Mendoza Malbec 2007 Argentina

Zestos - a Blend of 50% Temparanillo and 50% Garnacha, Vinos de Madrid 2008

The Ruins - Also a blend of Chardonnay, Verdelho and Viognier 2008, South Africa (organic grapes)

I'm looking forward to trying these.

BTW...I'm a fellow Chicagoan in Lincoln Park.

Valerie

Mimi said...

I just picked some up at Trader Joe's in Portland, OR for $1.99! I'm using it to macerate fresh strawberries overnight.

thewineauxs said...

Two bucks - who can complain? If you drink any straight let me know - I've heard Nouveau should be consumed with a couple months so I'm curious what it's like in June.