Official theme song

Monday, February 25, 2008

N/V Segura Viudas Brut Rose

After the plesent surprise of the Brut, I grabbed a Brut Rose for $7 at a local wine shop. This is a blend of 60% Macabeo, 20% Parellada, and 20% Xarel-lo.

Fran and I could not place the nose – as I was browsing the winery's website I noticed grenadine was mentoned and while I acknowledge the power of suggestion, as soon as I saw that it screamed out at me.

Very clean really – some lime and tangerine notes plus a bit of minerality. The bubbles are very pronounced at first but do fade somewhat quickly.

A bit of cherry seems to come through on the finish.

Segura Viuda has three lines of sparkling wine in the US – this is the chepest, Aria is the middle (for about $12), and they have a Reserva which goes for about $20. We've had all three and have been impressed by all. This may lack some nice subtleties but it also doesn't have any weird metallic and fake sugar qualities – for the price you will not do better. While this isn't bad, my preference is for the Brut Reserva.

No comments: