Official theme song

Friday, January 01, 2010

2002 Mille by L Mawby

This is L Mawby's only vintage sparkler available at the moment because they're only made in exceptional years. This goes for $50, which makes it one of the pricier bottles from the state.

There's an orange liqueur quality on the nose, along with some notes of that raw biscuit dough you get from the refrigerated section at your local grocer.

Orange marmalade is the main thing I get here. There's also a bit of yeast and creaminess, with vanilla, yeast, citron, limeade, grapefruit, white cranberry, lemon zest and just the slightest hint of caramel. The bubbles are tiny and impressively long lasting - several hours after popping, it's still going full steam.

A tremendous finish, citrus qualities - orange and tangerine - linger for over a minute.

Generally speaking when wines get around this pricepoint, the whole "value" thing is irrelevant. It's tasty, I dig it, but my socks are still on my feet - a solid 8, an excellent wine all around but nothing groin grabbing. I certainly don't feel hosed and when other 2002 bottles come out, I'm open to grabbing one.

Wine: 8
Value: Try it

No comments: