Official theme song

Thursday, January 21, 2010

2006 Anderson's Conn Valley Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

This is a half bottle which sells for about $30 – the full sized bottle was going for $60. Kudos to the winery for not charging a premium for half bottles. Though I understand why one would do such a thing, I've seen places charge $30 for a half when the full goes for $40. Not cool. It's probably too early to be drinking a wine of this quality so soon, so I gave it several hours in the decanter.

A very large nose - you can smell it from several feet away - plum and eucalyptus dominate.

While I can see why this will be better many years from now, I think this drinking rather nicely now. All sorts of things happening on the palate - plum, cassis, tobacco, mint, clove, eucalyptus, sweet tannins, vanilla and chocolate, black cherry. There's an interesting quality with the body of this one - it's thick, full bodied, but by no means hot - almost like a liqueur.

More plum, more black cherry, all with a bit of mint and linger eucalyptus on the finish.

An excellent, beautifully structured wine. Now to find a second and third job so I can afford this more often.


Score: 94

1 comment:

MichiganByTheBottle said...

A $30 half bottle is a little steep, so I am glad that you are tasting it first! It does make high end wines more affordable, though.