Official theme song

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

2004 Coppola Diamond Reserve Claret

We last had this wine a few years ago after I read an extremely strong review of it...we were underwhelmed, but I figured I’d give it another shot since it was on sale for $11.

The nose has oak and berry.

When I first opened the bottle, I was shocked at how completely bland it was. After opening for two hours, it’s come to life. Cherry, blueberry, oak, nice tannins, a bit of spice, and some red fruit - plums mainly.

The finish lingers with oak, cinnamon, and a bit of that miscellaneous red fruit.

Basically, it’s not bad. Actually, this isn’t a half bad wine to bring to a dinner party or to serve to guests because it’s easy to drink and is a conversation piece - it’s called “Claret” - a British term for Bordeaux, it has a classy label, and yes, it’s that Coppola. Unfortunately, I’ve seen this one go for as high as $20 and it’s certainly not worth it, but closer to $10 and I’d say give it a shot.

No comments: