Official theme song

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2005 Fattoria della Vitae Chianti Colli Senesi

I grabbed this one on sale and figured since I never met a Chianti I didn't like it would be worth a shot. It was under $10, but I don't recall much more than that.

No nose at first but it opened a bit to chocolate and orange.

Wow – just wow. This is one of the strangest bottles I've ever had.

At first pour – I would've said this is a fairly typical Chianti except it had a bit less acid than I'd expect.

After about 45 minutes, I felt this wine collapsed – th e acid all but disappeared, there wasn't much fruit except for some blueberry, no oak, no tannin, though I did get some earth – a strange structureless fruity, yet earthy, mess.

Here I am, 90 minutes in, and my tune is changing yet again. The acid is still milder than I'd expect for a Chianti. Blueberry and cherry is coming through as well as some nice chocolaty and earthy notes. It's still a bit too soft for me, almost watery, but it's not bad.

Some citrus notes are on the finish but it fades.

I think I need to get another bottle of this before I make up my mind. At the very least, this bottle was interesting. For under ten bucks, it's worth a gamble.

No comments: