Official theme song

Thursday, January 03, 2008

2005 Rheingau Edition Maximilian Pinot Noir

Germany isn't really well known for its red wine – so when I saw this one for $6 at Trader Joe's I thought it would be interesting to try.

Licorice on the nose.

Sweet....unpleasantly sweet....earth, rotten raspberry, tobacco, all mixed with sugar.

Cherry comes out on the finish and some funky notes linger for quite some time.

If a sweet red wine appeals to you then perhaps, I can't even finish a glass. The bottle does state “Medium-dry” so on the one hand I should've known better, on the other I can say I've had a Pinot Noir from Deutschland and for academic purposes that's good enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second the above comment. I was told at TJ's that "everyone keeps coming back for this wine." Well, I definitely won't b/c it is unpleasantly sweet and tastes nothing like a pinot noir (or wine for that matter).

Gary Rowe said...

I just tried this wine, and it's fantastic. It's like German Riesling in red!

Rene Hinojosa said...

I agree with Horatio and subsequently disagree with the two previous posts. This isn't a great wine, but it is good!

There are basically two types of pinot; the more elegant, feminine wines and the more earthy full-bodied wines. This one is unique and doesnt' fit either category. Other than the perfectly ripe strawberry, there isn't much of a nose on this one which usually indicates an earthy wine. However, after drinking it you will taste sweet strawberry and a hint of oak. That is about it, but I like strawberries and oak, don't you?

Honestly, you can't beat this wine for $6 at Trader Joe's. I think I'll buy a case next time.