Official theme song

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

2002 Domaine Pichot Vouvray Domaine Le Peu de la Moriette


For our 100th post, I bring you a wine from a region we enjoy but haven’t reviewed yet–Vouvray.

To me, Vouvray tastes like what a Sauternes would taste like if the grapes didn’t quite reach the noble rot....not quite German Riesling, not quite Gewurz, not quite Pinot Grigio...distinct from those, but similar enough that if you like any of them, you should give one a shot.

Vouvray is made with Chenin Blanc, but the only CB I've had from the New World has been bone dry, so they don't really compare. A bit on the sweeter side and they tend to have some nice acidity to balance it out. We pair them with Asian and spicier faire–and we’re enjoying this one with some Moo Shoo Vegetable.

The nose has honey, peaches, and some floral notes.

The palate is light, fruity and a bit floral—peaches, a touch of spice–think peach pie. I get just a touch of vanilla and perhaps butter as well...not something I’d expect in Chenin Blanc.
The finish has some citrus–-orange zest and lemons.

I think there’s just a bit too much sugar (or perhaps a touch short of enough acid) for it to be well balanced, but at $9 I'd buy it again and say you should give it a shot.

No comments: