Official theme song

Thursday, August 17, 2006

2005 Domaine de Pouy Vine De Pays Des Cotes De Gascogne

That's a whole lot of title for what is basically "French White Table Wine."

I picked this up at our local wine shop, the guy working commented it's his favorite inexpensive, fruity, French White wine. I chuckled at all the qualifiers until I thought about how my favorite Iron Maiden Blaze Bayley era 70s prog rock cover b-side is "Doctor Doctor."

So, yes, here we are. $8 for a bottle of French wine? I was skeptical, but it came with not only that recommendation, but another from the woman at the shop who knows our tastes very well.

This is a "Vine De Pays" which basically means it's a "country wine"...a wine from France. No specifics are given on the label--I believe that they can't give specifics, legally.

What I discovered is that this is a blend of Ugni Blanc, Colombard, and Gros Manseng. It originates from the Bas-Armagnac region. Not familiar with Armagnac? If you like spirits (brandy, in particular), next time you go to a French restaurant ask for a glass after you've had your meal.

I get some citrus on the nose while Fran gets Granny Smith apples...citric acid I suppose.

There are certainly minerals and grapefruit both on the palate and the finish. I taste a bit of pear on the finish as well. This is a wine that I feel just makes you think...there's a surprising complexity here, it's all citrusy mind you, but what kind of citrus? Do I taste grapefruit, or is it orange, maybe tangerine, I know, tangelo, is that lime?

If I had to compare this to something, it's not unlike a Sauvignon Blanc really: not sweet, but fruity, a bit of minerals, citrus and acid. Overall, it's just a really nice balanced wine. For $8, it's a steal and I see buying it again.

No comments: