Official theme song

Thursday, August 31, 2006

2004 House Wine (Magnificent Wine Company)


This blend of wine is 70% Cab, 25% Merlot, and 5% Syrah, so it’s not quite a Bordeaux blend. I picked it up at World Market for $8.99. Other vintages have different blends, so yes–vintages sometimes do really matter, even with cheap wine.

Big fruit and oak, this is one of those wines that starts off like a big old Cabernet and then fades into a spicy Syrah. Something I tend to like in wine is that sort of contrast, a wine starting one way and finishing in a different direction, so it win points on that front.

With a lot of berries and very nice, smooth tannins, this is well balanced and quite good though admittedly simple on the palate (which I really don’t consider a bad thing, I don’t expect complexity in any of my day to day wines). The finish has some black pepper spice to it and lingers for longer than I figured it would. It’s good, but is it groin grabbingly good? In a word....no.

It’s an easy drinking wine, that’s overall quite smooth, and one I wouldn’t hesitate picking up again. It’s interesting to see just how much of a punch the Syrah pulls even though it’s a mere 5% of the blend. At this price you can do significantly worse and not a whole lot better.

No comments: