Official theme song

Sunday, August 13, 2006

NV Toso Brut Sparkling Wine


This bottle plus a 187ml liter bottle came in a pack for $8.99 at Cost Plus World Market. I picked it up figuring I could try the small bottle and if I really didn't like it offer up the full bottle to someone who enjoys sparkling wine. We enjoyed enough to hang onto the bottle for a few months and finally opened it tonight.

The interesting thing that I pickup immediately is that this is considered "Brut" and if I had to label it I'd call it Extra Dry if not Demi-Sec. Fran thinks it's too dry...which is a great point. I taste it as being too sweet, she tastes it as being too dry...who's right? Both of us, because it's our tastes. That's why wine tasting is so much fun. If you taste cranberry or something in a wine, no one can tell you (though they can try I suppose) that you're wrong...they may not taste it, but who cares, you do.

I taste some apples in this and I get some yeast as well. This is made with Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc, normally I hate Chardonnay but in sparkling wines I'm okay with it. This one, to me, tastes more like Chardonnay than many other sparklers we've had. Fran agrees. This very well could be a result of us paying a lot closer attention now that I'm specifically writing about what we try...but with the Chardonnay taste and a somewhat powerful yeast, I just don't like it. It's odd, we both enjoyed the small bottle no more than a couple months ago but we're not feeling it with the full bottle.

I don't foresee buying this one again.

No comments: