Official theme song

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

2005 Layer Cake Shiraz


Why the large photo? Read on, friends.

I picked this one up for $15 without trying it, but with a recommendation from the woman at our local wine shop. I let this open for around four hours before even trying it, and as I approach hour six it only improves.

Big, fruity nose....think raspberry or blackberry jam.

Lots of big berry fruit...blueberry and sweet blackberry. Smooth tannins with just a hint of oak that’s suggesting chocolate, but make no mistake this is a huge fruity wine. The back of the palate brings black pepper.

The finish has a drawn out, lingering taste of Twizzlers. When I say lingering, I’m talking I stopped the clock at 75 seconds and I still taste it.

The more Fran and I discuss this wine, the more we are becoming a bit nuts about it....this is one of the finest wines we’ve had in some time, unbelievable balance, strong fruit, nice smooth oak to balance it....it doesn’t get much better and for $15 it’s incredible—and we don’t even like Shiraz! If you see this, and you pass it up, you are a fool. Seriously.

If we did the whole “best of the year” wines, I can tell you right now this would be in our top five of 2007, and we’re barely two weeks in.

No comments: