Official theme song

Sunday, January 07, 2007

N/V Rex Goliath Pinot Noir France Vin de Pays


I recall reading some very strong things about this some time ago but I can’t place my finger on where. I know we tried it, but I have no memory of it so I figured for $8 we’ll give it another shot.

There’s no date on the bottle so I did a bit of research and basically: I can’t find any information about this. Every Rex Goliath Pinot Noir seems to be “Central Coast” California...this is clearly labeled “Product of France” on the back, and front label–see photo--says “Vin de Pays d’Oc” (country wine...from France, but no appellation specified).

Earth, cherry, and oak on the nose.

The palate has cherry cola, oak, earth, some spice (cinnamon and something in the oregano family), a bit of bell pepper and mild tannins. Not a whole lot of fruit here.

The finish is so quick I’m not sure it even qualifies....cherry disappears quickly and then all you feel is the tannins.

For the price I doubt you can do better (especially with a Pinot Noir) and you can do far worse. I’d have it again.

No comments: